Chai has numerous variations but is always a combination of tea, milk, and spices. Our version combines ginger and cloves with fragrant cardamom and fennel seeds.
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 whole cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 6 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unflavored loose black tea (such as Darjeeling)
- Combine all ingredients, except the tea, in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add tea, and steep, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain and serve.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved