Savory Black Sticky Rice
Adapted from Kim Matlin
- 4 cups black sweet rice
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
- 1Place rice in a large bowl or pot, and add enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches. Soak the rice for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- 2Combine the salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- 3Drain the rice and steam in a rice steamer for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Alternatively, line a large steaming insert (that fits into a large pot) with cheesecloth and add the drained rice. Fill the bottom of the pot with at least 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Place the steaming insert inside the pot, cover with cheesecloth, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and steam for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle each serving with some of the sugar mixture, coconut, and peanuts.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved