Basic (Vegan) Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
The name says it all, a simple but perfect, tender, and all-around wonderful chocolate vegan cupcake. Change the look and flavor by topping with any frosting, glaze, or filling you can imagine. The Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting is especially delicious. This recipe is the basis for so many great chocolate cupcakes in this book.
We’ve even been known to whip up an unadorned batch and serve them with a glass of cold soy milk when the need for good, honest chocolate cake arises.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cupcakes (pictured): Mix into cupcake batter 1 cup (about 10 cookies; chop first, then measure) of coarsely chopped vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, like Newman-O’s. Bake as directed.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved