Hoisin-Marinated Tri-Tip Roast Recipe
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (2-pound) tri-tip roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Stir together hoisin, ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, and pepper until well blended. Rub marinade all over roast, coating it well. Place in a glass baking dish, cover, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator at least 8 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Remove tri-tip from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 375°F. Blot roast dry with paper towels to remove some of the excess marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sear roast for about 2 minutes per side or until nicely browned. Transfer roast to a small roasting pan or baking dish and place in the oven. Cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 125°F for medium rare, about 20 to 22 minutes.
- Remove roast from the oven and cover loosely with foil. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Slice across the grain and serve.
Beverage pairing: Torbreck Woodcutters Shiraz, Australia. The hoisin, ginger, and soy give the beef a sweetness and spiciness that is best matched by a wine that also has both. Australian Shiraz is such a wine, and this one has a plump core of sweet blueberry fruit that is appropriately undercut with pepper and spice.