Double Lavender Honey Ice Cream Recipe
This makes a lovely warm-weather dessert with sliced fresh strawberries and shortbread cookies. Lavender is an easy herb to grow, but you can also find edible lavender flowers sold at online spice shops like Penzeys.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lavender honey
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- Pinch sea salt
- In a heavy pan over moderate heat, warm all ingredients until tiny bubbles are just beginning to form around the edges. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain cream mixture through a sieve, discarding lavender.
- Cover custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Pack into a container, cover tightly, and freeze until firm.
Beverage pairing: Casta Diva Cosecha Miel Moscatel, Spain. Muscat is a grape strong with floral perfume, which makes a nice liaison with the lavender in the recipe. The wine also brings flavors of honey and ginger, which should make for a complex, almost savory pairing with the ice cream.