Maple syrup, red pepper flakes, and candied orange zest make this holiday classic fun again. This “spread” pairs well with our Cheddar Biscuits.
What to buy: Candied orange peel really makes this dish, so look for it in gourmet grocery stores.
Game plan: This can be stored, covered and refrigerated, up to a week. Serve at room temperature.
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 (2-inch-long) strips candied orange peel, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once mixture has come to a boil, reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and reduced, about 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved