Tandoori-Style Marinade Recipe
The acidity in yogurt acts as a tenderizer, making it a perfect ingredient in marinades for grilled foods. For chicken or lamb, season with salt and pepper, coat evenly in the marinade, and place in a nonreactive container. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. For fish, do not marinate more than 30 minutes.
What to buy: Use plain, natural, organic whole-milk yogurt like Stonyfield Farm. It’s tangier and less thick than other brands.
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice