Chipotle-Tomato Sauce Recipe
This southwestern twist on the Italian classic is great alone, but we like it in the Lasagne with Ricotta Filling, Chipotle-Tomato Sauce, and Poblano Pesto.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole Italian Roma tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons toasted ground coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons toasted ground cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons chipotle seasoning, or more to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and continue cooking another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, and stir in the oregano, coriander, cumin, chipotle seasoning, salt, and sugar. Simmer the mixture for 20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.