Baby Arugula Salad with Nectarines and Toasted Hazelnuts Recipe
This salad can change with the seasons; try persimmons in the fall, pears or blood oranges in the winter, and nectarines when they are in season. You can substitute mixed baby greens for the arugula and frisée.
What to buy: When purchasing nectarines, look for freestone varieties—their flesh separates easily from the pit.
This dish was featured as part of our Recipes for Summer Ingredients photo gallery.
- 1 head frisée
- 4 medium white nectarines
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shelled and unsalted hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Cut off the base of the frisée and discard, then chop the rest into bite-size pieces. Cut the nectarines into sixths and set aside.
- Combine the vinegars in a medium nonreactive bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, then add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking to mix. Place the arugula, frisée, nectarines, and toasted hazelnuts in a serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to combine, and serve.