Spicy Green Rice (Arroz Verde) Recipe
8 servings (12 for Burrito Bar)
- 2 poblano peppers, stems, seeds, and membranes removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, stem, seeds, and membranes removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium scallions, coarsely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (not converted or instant)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium lime, halved
- Place the peppers, scallions, parsley, cilantro, and salt in a blender. Add the water and process until smooth; set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large saucepan with a tightfitting lid. When the butter starts to foam, add the rice, stirring well to coat each grain. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is fragrant and slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add the blended ingredients to the pan and mix well. Simmer for 1 minute, then stir in the chicken broth. Return the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the liquid has been completely absorbed and the rice is tender, about 14 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the rice sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and squeeze the lime halves over the rice. Stir well and serve.