Green Beans with Smoked Bacon Recipe
This recipe combines a Thanksgiving staple, green beans, with a smoky, slightly sweet bacon vinaigrette. It’s a real crowd-pleaser!
This dish was featured as part of our Classic Thanksgiving … Only Cheaper menu.
- 2 pounds green beans, stems removed
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water.
- Place the beans in the boiling water and cook until crisp tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and place in the ice water bath to cool. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan set over medium heat, cook the bacon until it starts to brown. Add the onion and cook until it caramelizes and turns golden.
- Add the reserved green beans, vinegar, and sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Mix in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.