Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
Tabil, pronounced “table,” is a word in Tunisian Arabic meaning seasoning that once referred to ground coriander, this blend’s main ingredient. Tabil is used together with
harissa to season stews with meat, chicken, fish, or preserved lamb. On its own, it seasons cooked vegetable salads and stuffings for vegetables.
- 1/4 cup coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Ras el Hanout
- 1Combine coriander seed, garlic, caraway seed, and crushed red pepper flakes and grind. Spread out onto a baking tray and dry in a low oven (200°F) for about 1 hour. Cool, then grind again to a fine powder. Add Ras el Hanout (optional). Store in an airtight jar up to 4 months.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved