Shrimp or Crab Boil Spice Mix
Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
Popular along the southeast coast of the United States and especially in Louisiana, shrimp or crab boil spice mix is used, not surprisingly, for boiling shrimp and crabs. The mixture may also be ground and used to season fish or seafood.
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- 3 tablespoons sliced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 crushed bay leaves
- 1Tie all the spices in a muslin bag and add to the boiling liquid with sea salt to taste.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved