Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
Meaning “four spices” in French, quatres épices is a combination of white pepper with aromatic spices that dates back to prerevolutionary France. It is often used in charcuterie to season pâtés and terrines and is suited to rich meat dishes such as beef braised in red wine or venison stew.
- 2 tablespoons ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1Combine 2 tablespoons ground white pepper, 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, and 1 teaspoon ground allspice or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved