Pastrami Seasoning Recipe
Pastrami is a Romanian specialty adapted from Turkish basturma—spiced, pressed, and dried meat—brought to the United States by immigrants in the late 19th century.
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons crushed coriander
- 2 tablespoons crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon each coarsely ground black and white pepper
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap), 1/2 cup chopped garlic, 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons crushed coriander, 2 tablespoons crushed fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon each coarsely ground black and white pepper, 2 teaspoons allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves. Blend in a food processor until a wet, chunky paste is obtained. Use to cure and smoke beef brisket for pastrami. Store the pastrami seasoning refrigerated in an airtight container up to two weeks.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food