Chinese Five-Spice Powder Recipe
Highly aromatic Chinese five-spice powder enhances stir-fried vegetables, chicken, and especially fatty meats like pork and duck. Five-spice powder isn’t hot but is quite concentrated, so use it in small quantities. (Heat-treated Szechuan pepper may now be legally imported to the United States.)
- 2 tablespoons ground star anise
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons crushed cassia
- 2 teaspoons crushed Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine ground star anise, ground fennel seeds, crushed cassia, crushed Szechuan peppercorns, and ground cloves.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.