Traci Des Jardins
Using fresh juice will make this ice a beautiful pale green. But who’s got the time or patience? Store-bought juice works just fine. The ice will be more brownish than green but still delicious. Serve it with Apple Tarts.
- 6 Granny Smith apples (or other tart baking apples, or 2 cups apple juice)
- 3/4 cup Rich Simple Syrup
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Quarter apples and juice them through a fruit juicer with peels on (this helps keep the color of the ice a nice bright green).
- 2Add rich simple syrup and lemon juice to taste. Pour into a shallow pan or a glass baking dish and place in the freezer. After 20 minutes, scrape the pan to break up the frozen bits and create slush. Do this again after 30 minutes, then put the pan in the freezer until you’re ready to serve. (You can also do this in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s directions.)
Note: You may freeze the apple mixture overnight into a solid block, then scrape it as you would a granité the next day.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved