Watermelon Lemonade Cocktail Recipe
This recipe from author and former Gramercy Tavern managing partner Nick Mautone combines several favorite flavors of summer: watermelon, fresh lemonade, rum, and blackberries.
Game plan: The watermelon lemonade can be made and refrigerated up to 8 hours in advance.
- 3 pounds seedless watermelon, rind removed and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup light rum
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 7 medium lemons)
- 1/2 cup blackberry or raspberry liqueur
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Blackberries, for garnish
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl and set it aside.
- Place the watermelon in a blender and blend until liquified, about 1 minute. Pour through the strainer into the bowl and scrape a rubber spatula against the inside surface of the strainer to push the juice through until only pulp remains. Discard the pulp. (You should have about 3 cups of juice.)
- Transfer the watermelon juice to a nonreactive 2-quart container. Add the rum, lemon juice, liqueur, and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Just before serving, stir to recombine. Pour over ice and garnish with a few blackberries.