Indian New Potatoes with Turmeric Recipe
Potatoes go Indian in this spiced, quick preparation that’s easy enough to whip up for a weeknight meal.
What to buy: Look for fresh turmeric in Korean and Southeast Asian markets. Choose plump, firm, clean “fingers” of turmeric with no signs of shriveling or wilting. Purchase high-quality powdered turmeric, as cheaper types may be unpleasantly acrid. Note that turmeric’s color will fade if stored too long.
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled new potatoes
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pinch of asafetida (optional)
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Cut potatoes into small dice. Heat vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan over medium heat.
- When hot, quickly add asafetida, then black mustard seeds and cumin seeds, then stir in the potatoes. Sprinkle in turmeric and cook, shaking often, for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and almost cooked through.
- Just before the potatoes are done, sprinkle in coriander, ground cumin, cayenne, and salt to taste. Drain any excess oil in a colander before serving.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.