Thai Iced Tea with Star Anise Recipe
A spicy and refreshing drink, topped with half-and-half or sweetened condensed milk.
What to buy: Look for orange flower water at Kalustyan’s.com
- 8 star anise pods, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 1 vanilla pod (or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup loose Chinese black tea leaves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Few drops red food coloring (optional)
- Half-and-half or sweetened condensed milk
- Bring 1/2 gallon of cold water to a boil. Add 8 finely crushed star anise pods, 1 teaspoon orange blossom water, the scrapings of 1 vanilla pod or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, a pinch each of ground cloves and ground cinnamon, and 1/2 cup Chinese black tea leaves.
- Boil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup sugar and a few drops of red food coloring (optional, though traditional). Cover, steeping until tepid.
- Strain and pour the tea over plenty of crushed ice. Top with half-and-half or sweetened condensed milk.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved