Asian Sesame-Cucumber Salad Recipe
A crisp, refreshing, and quick side salad.
This recipe was featured as part of our Chinese New Year Dishes for Valentine’s Day photo gallery.
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Peel and seed cucumbers and cut on the diagonal into thin slices. Toss the cucumber pieces with kosher salt, transfer to a colander, and let drain for 1 hour.
- Toast white sesame seeds in a dry skillet until they’re golden brown. Whisk together rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Rinse the cucumber slices thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Toss the cucumbers with the dressing and toasted sesame seeds and serve.