Tom Kha Kai (Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk and Galangal) Recipe
A fast, easy, and flavorful preparation for chicken breasts.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 crushed wild lime leaves
- 2-inch section lemongrass
- 1-inch section galangal
- 1/4 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 to 10 (to taste) small red chiles, slightly crushed
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Bring 4 cups chicken stock, 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce, the juice of 1 lime, 2 crushed wild lime leaves, a 2-inch section of lemongrass, and a 1-inch section of galangal to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Strain if desired (though left unstrained in Thailand, the lemongrass, lime leaves, and galangal are not meant to be eaten).
- Add 1/4 pound bite-sized pieces of chicken breast, 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk, and 2 to 10 (to taste) small red chiles, slightly crushed, and return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by