In this cocktail given to us by author and former Gramercy Tavern managing partner Nick Mautone, a combination of warm spices and brandy makes this sparkling wine cocktail a seasonal sipper appropriate for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year’s Eve.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 cubes light brown sugar
- 5 ounces brandy
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle chilled sparkling wine
- 1Pour the brown sugar onto a small plate. Rub the lemon wedge along the rim of each champagne glass (but not inside the rim). Holding each glass at an angle, roll the outer edge of the rim in the sugar until it’s fully coated.
- 2Mix together the cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and ginger, then divide the mixture evenly among 5 champagne glasses.
- 3Add 1 sugar cube and 1 ounce of the brandy to each glass. Stir until the spices are well blended.
- 4Divide the sparkling wine evenly among the glasses. (Be careful, the sparkling wine will fizz vigorously.) Serve immediately.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved