These are the clove cookies that you wish your grandmother would have made.
- 1/2 pound softened unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cloves for garnish
- Beat 1/2 pound softened unsalted butter with 1 egg, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon brandy until creamy and smooth.
- Blend in 3 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves. Chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Shape the dough into small, flat crescents. Press 1 clove into the center of each cookie. Bake on ungreased baking sheets for 12 to 15 minutes, or until set but not brown. Cool, then dust generously with powdered sugar.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by