Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Ginger, Cardamom, and Honey
Adapted from "Field Guide to Herbs & Spices" by Aliza Green
This easy side dish can be served next to holiday turkey or with a weeknight meatloaf. Steam sweet and russet potatoes until tender, then mash in lots of spicy fresh ginger, butter, honey, and cardamom.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 cup peeled, finely grated fresh ginger (from about a 6-inch piece)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Set a steamer basket inside and reduce the heat to low so the water is simmering.
- 2Peel and cut the sweet and russet potatoes into large dice. Place them in the steamer, cover with a tightfitting lid, and steam until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place the remaining measured ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, season with pepper, and stir until the butter and honey have melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 3When the potatoes are ready, transfer them to a large bowl, drizzle with the butter mixture, and mash with a potato masher to the desired consistency. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved