French 75 Recipe
Thought this recipe was given to us by author and former Gramercy Tavern managing partner Nick Mautone, it is a classic cocktail. Named after a piece of artillery during World War I, this drink was originally made with gin. Over time it became more popular using brandy.
- 6 cubes brown or white sugar, or 3 teaspoons granulated brown or white sugar
- 12 dashes orange bitters
- 6 ounces gin or brandy
- 6 lemon wedges
- 1 bottle sparkling wine, chilled
- 6 orange twists
- In each of 6 glasses place 1 sugar cube or 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 2 dashes of the orange bitters, and 1 ounce of the gin or brandy.
- Squeeze a lemon wedge into each glass and discard the wedge. Stir.
- Divide the sparkling wine evenly among the glasses, garnish each glass with an orange twist, and serve.