Basic Cooked Beans Recipe
- 2 cups dried beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs each of fresh parsley, thyme, and oregano
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 dried ancho chile
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 small carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- Remove any dirt or pebbles from the beans, rinse in a colander, place in a medium pot, cover by 2 inches with cold water, and leave to soak 12 hours or overnight.
- Place bay leaf, parsley, thyme, oregano, and peppercorns in a large piece of cheesecloth and close with butcher’s twine to make a sachet bag. Set aside.
- After the beans have soaked, drain and rinse well. Return the beans to the pot and add remaining ingredients and sachet bag. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the ingredients by 2 inches. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Let boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low so the mixture is at a simmer.
- Continue cooking until the beans are completely tender and no longer starchy, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the beans from heat and discard the sachet bag and chile. Season with salt and serve or allow the beans to cool in their liquid if saving for another use.
Note: Refrigerate cooked beans in their liquid in a covered container. They will keep for up to a week.