Red Lentil Dal with Spiced Tadka Recipe
A spicy dip.
For the dal:
- 1 pound dried split red lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
For the tadka:
- 1 teaspoon ajwain
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to garnish
- To make the dal: Combine 1 pound dried split red lentils with 1 teaspoon ground turmeric and salt to taste.
- Add 2 quarts water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils disintegrate into a thick, soupy puree.
- To make the tadka: Fry 1 teaspoon each ajwain, dill, and cumin seeds in 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter) until they turn brown and release their aromas. Add 1 tablespoon chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons grated ginger and fry briefly.
- Just before serving, add salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to the lentils. Pour the hot tadka over the dal and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.