Vanilla Cream Recipe
Shocking but true, the vanilla filling in most snack cakes is exactly the same. Here’s a master recipe that makes more than enough filling for any one of our snackie cakes. In this basic frosting, the cream is stabilized and made richer with the addition of mascarpone or cream cheese.
- 4 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 3 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Combine cheese and vanilla bean and seeds (or vanilla extract, if using) in a bowl and mix until cheese is soft and ingredients are evenly combined; reserve.
- Simmer 1 inch of water in a medium pot. Combine egg whites and sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Make a double boiler by placing the bowl with the egg mixture over the pot of simmering water. (Do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.) Whisk egg mixture continuously until it reaches 110°F, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place mixture in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk on medium speed until it has doubled in volume, about 5 to 7 minutes. (The egg mixture should be glossy and hold a soft peak.) Add cheese mixture and beat just until smooth.
- Cover mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.