Sesame Shrimp with Cilantro-Lime Sauce Recipe
To make this easy appetizer, start by coating shrimp on one side with sesame seeds, then bake them until they’re cooked through. Whisk together a quick dipping sauce of mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil and serve it with the shrimp at a cocktail party or buffet.
This recipe was featured as part of our feature on Killer Apps.
- 6 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 pound medium uncooked shrimp (about 36), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 36 small metal skewers or wooden toothpicks
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Place the sesame seeds on a plate; set aside. Combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, cayenne pepper, and scallions in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl, add the vegetable oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat. Dip one side of each shrimp in the toasted sesame seeds, skewer, and place on the prepared baking sheet, seeds-side up. Bake until the shrimp are firm to the touch, about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.