French Toast Sandwiches with Marmalade Recipe
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau)
- 2 teaspoons orange marmalade
- 4 slices bread (such as sweet bâtarde, brioche, or Wonder Bread)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Maple syrup, to taste
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Heat a sandwich press to 350°F or a grill pan over medium-high heat. (Prop up the slanted side of the grill to level the cooking surface.)
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, orange liqueur, and orange marmalade until well incorporated. For each sandwich, spread 2 tablespoons of the mixture on a slice of bread and top with a plain slice; press firmly.
- Beat egg and milk together in a shallow bowl until well blended. Dip both sides of each sandwich into milk mixture briefly (and let excess drip off), then place on the press. Close the lid and cook about 3 minutes or until golden brown. (Or cook in a grill pan until golden brown, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.)
- Transfer French toast to plates. Top with maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon, and serve immediately.
Beverage pairing: A refreshing glass of bubbly Moscato d’Asti would be the perfect match for this brunch dish. Redolent of orange blossoms and green apples, and with just the right amount of requisite sweetness, the Saracco Moscato d’Asti is definitely one to look for. And it’s light in alcohol, so you won’t feel as guilty imbibing before noon.