Cream of Carrot Soup with Chervil
Field Guide to Herbs & Spices
This soup features two cousins from the plant world: carrot and chervil.
- 1 pound peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped chervil stalks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chervil
- Whipped cream, to garnish
- 1Sauté 1 pound peeled and sliced carrots, 1 cup sliced shallots, and 1/2 cup chopped chervil stalks in 1/4 cup butter until the shallots just begin to soften. Add 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock and simmer until the carrots are soft.
- 2Puree in a blender. Add 1 cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons finely chopped chervil and reheat to boiling. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and serve garnished with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and a sprig of chervil.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved