Ancient Roman–Style Garlic Cheese with Rue (Moretum) Recipe
Roman-style cheese spread that’s great as an hors d’oeuvre.
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound ground pecorino Romano cheese
- A handful of cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons young rue leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Grind 6 cloves of garlic in a food processor, and then add 1/2 pound ground pecorino Romano cheese, a handful of cilantro leaves, 1/4 cup chopped celery, 2 tablespoons young rue leaves, and 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, enough to make a smooth paste. Makes about 2 cups.
- Spread lightly on crostini and broil.
Note: Rue should never be used by pregnant women because it can cause a miscarriage.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.