Red Onion Marmalade with Bay Leaves Recipe
Onions are the star in this sweet-sour chutney. Serve hot as a topping for sautéed calf’s liver, grilled steaks or hamburgers, or pasta with Gorgonzola cheese sauce.
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme:thyme)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large nonreactive skillet, sauté 3 sliced red onions in 3 tablespoons butter until softened but not browned. Add 1/2 cup red wine, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 3 bay leaves, 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme), 2 teaspoons honey, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is syrupy, stirring occasionally.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved