Australian Lemon Myrtle and Yogurt Panna Cotta Recipe
This slightly tart, eggless custard is flavored with lemon myrtle.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons ground lemon myrtle
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3/4 confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- Mango, sliced
- Kiwi, sliced
- Soften 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 teaspoons ground lemon myrtle. Whisk the gelatin mixture with the hot-water mixture so that the gelatin dissolves and is clear. Cool and then refrigerate until just starting to gel.
- Whip 1 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Sprinkle in 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and continue beating until the cream is stiff.
- Place 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Gently fold in the sweetened whipped cream.
- Fold 1 cup of the cream mixture into the gelatin to temper. Whisk the gelatin quickly and thoroughly into the remaining cream mixture. Transfer to an oiled 6-cup mold or a serving bowl, and refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours, or up to overnight, until set. Unmold if desired. Accompany with sliced mango and kiwi.
Beverage pairing: Lorenzo Inga Moscato Grappa, Italy. This pointed, tart, and strident dessert needs something equally insistent to match it. So how about a little, perfumy, easy-drinking grappa to stand toe-to-toe and maybe get the last word? Serve slightly chilled.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by