Anise Hyssop Sauce Recipe
A sweet-sour sauce that’s great with lamb, from the Field Guide to Spices.
What to buy: Anise hyssop can be found at some farmers’ markets during the summer.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup anise hyssop leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine sugar, apple cider vinegar, and 1/2 cup water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add anise hyssop leaves and flowers and return mixture to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and allow mixture to steep for 30 minutes. Pour through a sieve, pressing leaves to extract all liquid.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Whisk into strained liquid. Bring mixture to a boil while whisking to thicken the sauce. Serve with roast lamb or veal.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by