Chocolate Coconut Sherbet Recipe
This is a good nondairy dessert with a nice creamy texture. The first time I made this at [the now-defunct San Francisco restaurant] Monsoon, I watched a hostess’s eyes light up as she tasted a spoonful and blurted out with abandon, “This is better than a Mounds bar!” I consider that a compliment.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups canned Thai coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Heat the water and sugar until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate, add it to the syrup, and whisk until the chocolate has completely melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk and rum.
- Chill thoroughly, then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Serving Suggestion: This sherbet is an excellent accompaniment to a varied assortment of homemade cookies.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food