Marinated Purple Potatoes Recipe
The intense, eye-catching color of this salad really sets it apart from the traditional potato salad that is more typically served. It used to be more difficult to find purple potatoes, but they seem to be appearing more frequently at local grocery stores. Purple potatoes are medium sized, oval and have an assertive, earthy flavor.
What to buy: Chile caribe is a very hot yellow chile that originates in the Caribbean. If you can’t find it, you can substitute habanero chiles or just leave it out.
- 2 pounds purple potatoes, skin on, quartered
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Chile caribe to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or ricotta
- Boil potatoes until tender, but firm, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Warm the oil over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and pour mixture over the warm potatoes. Toss with salt, pepper and parsley. Add chile caribe, if using, and mix well. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by