Mushroom Soup Recipe
Mushrooms with mushrooms and lots of herbs.
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 ounce dried chanterelle mushrooms
- 1/2 ounce dried morel mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into slivers
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 12 sprigs epazote, or 2 tablespoons dried
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 or 4 chiles de arbol, lightly fried
- 2 quarts chicken broth (or combination of chicken and beef broth)
- Salt to taste
- Lime wedges and/or fresh epazote for garnish
- Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain and reserve. If the mushrooms are in very large pieces, cut them in half.
- In a deep soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onion and sauté 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes more. Add the fresh mushrooms and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained, dried mushrooms. Tie the epazote, thyme, oregano and rosemary sprigs in a bundle with kitchen string and add to the pot. Add the chiles and the broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Remove the herb bundle and salt to taste. Garnish with lime wedges or fresh epazote.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by