Though I love savory collard greens, I created this sweet, modern variation to be paired with savory entrées.
- 1Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a large pot over high heat and add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the collards and cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, until softened.
- 2Prepare a large bowl of ice water to cool the collards.
- 3Remove the collards from the heat, drain, and plunge them into the ice water to stop the cooking and set the color. Drain.
- 4Warm the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the collards, raisins, and a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the raisins are plump. Do not overcook—the collards should be bright green.
- 5Add the orange juice and cook for an additional 15 seconds. Season with additional salt to taste if needed and serve immediately.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.