Oatmeal-Banana-Raisin Waffles Recipe
I love the texture the oatmeal gives these waffles. They are chewy and have a hint of banana and cinnamon, with sweet bursts of raisins.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking (rolled) oats
- 1 very ripe medium-size banana
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Extra sliced bananas for the top
- Preheat waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the oats and toss together.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana very well. Add the soy milk, maple syrup, and vegetable oil. I use a handheld blender to blend everything together; if you don’t have one, mix vigorously with a strong fork until there are very few clumps of banana left.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the raisins.
- Let the batter sit for 2 minutes before making the waffles; this allows the oatmeal to get moist and blend with the rest of the batter.
- Prepare the waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions. Serve with margarine, maple syrup, and sliced bananas on top.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by