A classic Italian dessert flavored with coffee and chocolate.
- 2 eggs whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 3/4 cups mascarpone cheese
- 7 ounces ladyfingers
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed extra strong coffee, cooled
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Stiffly whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another bowl until pale and fluffy. Gently fold in the mascarpone, then the egg whites. Make a layer of ladyfingers on the base of a deep, rectangular serving dish and brush them evenly with coffee. Cover with a layer of the mascarpone cream and sprinkle with a little grated chocolate. Continue making layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of mascarpone cream. Dust with cocoa and chill in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.