Fresh Pasta Dough
Adapted from "The Silver Spoon"
Try your hand at homemade pasta with this simple recipe. Shape it into sheets to make lasagne or fill it for delicious ravioli.
What to buy: Italians use type “00” flour when making pasta. It can be found at Italian groceries and online. If you can’t find it, use all-purpose flour.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or type “00”), plus a little for dusting
- Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a mound on a dry counter. Make a well in the center of the mound and add the eggs.
- 2Using your fingers or a fork, mix the eggs until smooth and uniform, then gradually incorporate the flour. Continue mixing until a smooth paste begins to form, then push flour over paste and work until dough comes together. (If the mixture is too soft, add a little extra flour; if it is too firm, add a little water.)
- 3Work dough until it is uniformly moist, then using the heel of your hand, knead for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and firm. Shape dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest in a cool, dry place for at least 15 minutes or up to an hour.
- 4Proceed to shape the dough as desired.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved