Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
This is the simplest way to prepare chicken cacciatore—in some regions more celery and carrots are added, in others white wine is used instead of water or stock, and in still others sliced mushrooms are added.
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprig, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Put the chicken in a flameproof casserole with the butter, oil, and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring and turning frequently, for about 15 minutes until browned. Add the tomatoes, carrot, and celery, pour in 2/3 cup water, cover and simmer for 45 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Beverage pairing: Banfi Chianti Classico, Italy. A classic dish deserves a classic wine—this Chianti has a lovely dose of herbs, black fruits and flowers, sprightly acidity, and not too much tannin, so it will enhance but not overwhelm the chicken.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food