Spinach Dhal Recipe
No Indian meal is complete without a bowl of spicy lentil dhal, which is one of the staple dishes eaten throughout the country. This version is flecked with fresh, tender baby spinach for extra flavor, color, and texture.
- 8 ounces red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root
- 3 1/2 ounces baby spinach leaves, chopped
- Large handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 red chile, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan with the water, turmeric, and ginger. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that forms on the surface.
- Lower the heat and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and chopped cilantro, stir, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small, nonstick frying pan and when it is hot add the garlic, cumin and mustard seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, and red chile. Stir-fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, then pour this mixture into the lentils. Stir to mix well, season, and serve immediately with rice or naan bread.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved