Mustard-Braised Spiced Cabbage Recipe
Mustard seeds cooked in hot oil until they “pop” have a sweet, nutty taste, and are a classic flavoring for many Indian vegetable dishes. They work well here combined with lightly cooked, sweet and tender cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried urad dhal
- 2 onions, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 dried red chiles
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound green or white cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1/2 cup water
- Freshly grated coconut, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds; when they start to “pop,” add the curry leaves and urad dhal. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until dhal starts to brown.
- Stir in the onions and red chiles. Cook over high heat, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until the onions soften. Add the turmeric and the cabbage and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the water, cover, and cook gently for 5-7 minutes or until the cabbage has softened but still retains a crunch. Season and serve immediately, sprinkled with freshly grated coconut.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.