Okra with Tomato and Cucumber Recipe
People are often nervous about cooking okra because of its slightly gluey texture, but it is simple to cook well, and once you have tried this tasty recipe, it is sure to become a regular dish in your repertoire.
- 3/4 pound fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chiles (whole)
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 small cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon very finely chopped fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Freshly grated coconut, to sprinkle
- Slice the okra diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan; when hot, add the mustard seeds. As they begin to “pop,” add the dried red chiles and onion.
- Stir-fry and cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes until the onion has softened, and then stir in the tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Stir-fry for another 3 to 4 minutes and then turn the heat to high and add the sliced okra. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, season, and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with the grated coconut and serve immediately.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.