Petite chocolate bites topped with pistachios, raisins, almonds, and orange make for a very grown-up candy.
- 4 ounces best-quality dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon green pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 2-ounce strips of candied orange peel
- Place a sheet of acetate or waxed paper on a marble slab or other smooth, cold surface. Melt chocolate in a microwave oven or in a bowl over hot water.
- Place a scant teaspoonful of melted chocolate on the sheet, and shape into a disk using the back of a spoon. Make several at a time so that the chocolate does not become too cool.
- Place a pistachio, raisin, almond, and halved strip of orange peel on each disk, and leave to cool completely. The mendiants are ready when they come off the acetate or waxed paper with ease.
Beverage pairning: Sandeman Royal Ambrosante Old Solera Pedro Ximenez (20 Years) Sherry, Spain. Pedro Ximénez, the great sweet grape of southern Spain, is used to make this super-sweet wine that fears no dessert. It can take on chocolate, take on dried fruit, and take on nuts, making it ideal for this elegant confection. The orange peel in the candy will actually lift the wine.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by