Snapper Fillet with Asparagus Salad and Soy Dressing Recipe
Crispy seared fish with a tasty mélange of veggies.
For the soy dressing:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 small red chile, julienned
- 3 red Asian shallots, or 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
For the fish:
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) snapper fillets, skin on
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, cut into thirds on the diagonal and blanched
- 1 long cucumber, shaved into thin strips
- 1 large red chile, seeded and sliced finely on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
For the fish:
- Using a sharp knife, cut three slashes into the skin side of the fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a non-stick frying pan over high heat and add the oil. Place the fish skin-side down in the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and just cooked.
- Place the asparagus, cucumber, chile, mint and cilantro in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Serve the fish with the salad and drizzle with the soy dressing.
Beverage pairing: Loimer Grüner Veltliner “Kamptal,” Austria. There’s a lot going on in this dish, calling for a wine with great versatility. Grüner Veltliner has the lightness to not overwhelm the fish, a sensation of fruity sweetness to absorb the chile, and that signature herbal quality to pair with the asparagus.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by