Cubanesque Sandwich Recipe
Because this Cuban pressed sandwich is not served hot, it can be transported to work or your next picnic. If you happen to be near a toaster oven or panini press, the sandwich is even better when toasty and warm (about 5 minutes at medium-high heat), but it’s just as great at room temperature.
- 1 small French roll
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pickle
- 2 ounces sliced honey-roasted ham
- 2 ounces sliced roast turkey
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Slice French roll in half horizontally. Mix together hot mustard and pickle and spread on both cut sides of roll.
- Layer ham, turkey, and cheese in roll. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then lightly press sandwich closed. Wrap in parchment paper or waxed paper.
Beverage pairing: Brooklyn Lager, New York. Mustard, pickles, turkey, ham: That’s a call for beer, not wine. A good, simple, classic beer. A lager with character, served cold and icy, is all you need.